Saturday 10 October 2009

Spring Hill


Spring Hill, West Seattle

Background - I've been hearing good things about Spring Hill since we returned to Seattle nearly a year ago. I also saw a write up in Bon Appetit a few months back as well. With some gentle persuasion, I talked my book group into checking it out.

Atmosphere - Minimalist without being cold. Nice light and wood accents help keep it warm.

Food - They feature elegant, northwest style food which they source locally as much as possible. It was solid but was really too fussy for my taste. We ordered a bunch of things to share including the grilled flat bread with various spreads, duck egg yolk raviolo, and bread and butter (which was worth the slightly annoying $3 charge) The girls seemed to really like it, so maybe I was just in a funny mood.

Drink - The have a nice wine list that primarily features Oregon and Washington selections.

Service - Terrible. Having never waited tables I know I often take for granted what hard work it is. But when you get the type of waiter that we did that night, it really reminds you just what an art and science waiting is. Our waiter was friendly enough but just missed the mark in so many ways - I won't bore you with the details. The saving grace was at the end of the night we were all presented a very nice cookbook of a bunch of Seattle restaurants as part of a promotion.

Verdict - I am glad I checked it out but not a spot I plan on going to again any time soon.

No comments: